18 Oct 2010
LEDAS Improves Variational Direct Modeling with RhinoDirect 0.4
Now any solid or surface geometric model consisting of planar, cylindrical, or spherical faces can be edited parametrically in Rhino, with full control over design intent
Novosibirsk, Russia: October 18, 2010 -- LEDAS Ltd. today announced the public release of RhinoDirect beta 0.4, a plug-in module for Rhinoceros 3D modeling software from Robert McNeel and Associates. RhinoDirect allows Rhinoceros users to modify 3D geometric shapes parametrically using geometric constraints and driving dimensions. Version 0.4 of RhinoDirect is available as a free* download at www.DrivingDimensions.com/labs.
The new version allows users to control spherical faces parametrically, and to visualize driving dimensions in the drawing area. The release also significantly improves the intelligence and reliability of the plug-in.
New Features in RhinoDirect 0.4
Previous versions of RhinoDirect limited users to editing 3D models made of planar and cylindrical faces. With version 0.4, users can now edit models containing spherical faces, such as individual spheres, spherical fillets, and arbitrary spherical faces that result from Boolean operations with spheres (grooves, ribs, and so on).
The radii of spherical and cylindrical surfaces can now be adjusted automatically to satisfy geometric and dimensional constraints, if they are not controlled by driving dimensions. For example, a semi-cylinder connecting two parallel planar faces now automatically changes its radius when the distance between the faces is changed.
An important feature of RhinoDirect 0.4 is its new ability to display distance and radius driving dimensions in the drawing area. This new feature allows users to easily modify the values of corresponding parameters. This ability will be extended in future beta releases of this plug-in.
Intelligence and Reliability
Version 0.4 contains new functions for automatic recognition of design intent. For example, when a cylindrical or spherical face is tangent to one or more adjacent faces, RhinoDirect recognizes the relationships automatically, and maintains them when the model is modified parametrically. The same function occurs automatically with cylinders of equal radius. RhinoDirect maintains the relationships – as well as coincident, concentric, and parallel faces – when they do not contradict other constraints.
Yet another improvement manages rigid assembly models, with no deformation of their shapes when it is not necessary to satisfy constraints. Many bugs reported by users are fixed in version 0.4.
“Version 0.4 of RhinoDirect approaches a commercial solution for parametric modification of many typical mechanical parts,” said Dmitry Ushakov, Director of Product Management, LEDAS Ltd. “Over 1,500 Rhino users have already tried RhinoDirect, and we see the great demand for this technology in the Rhino community and beyond.”
RhinoDirect 0.4 is based on the latest version of LGS 3D constraint solver, which itself benefits from significant improvements to its reliability and performance. For instance, a new function in LGS 3D 4.0 detects loops of over-defined constraints, and so speeds up the resolution of user-defined constraints that conflict with ones recognized automatically.
RhinoDirect 0.4 is compatible with Rhinoceros 4.0 SR5B (and higher), and can be run on 32-bit Windows XP, Vista, and 7. The beta version can be freely downloaded at www.DrivingDimensions.com/labs, where visitors will find detailed on-line help, step-by-step tutorials, video tutorials, and a set of sample examples to play with.
RhinoDirect is an extension of LEDAS' RhinoAssembly plug-in, the ultimate tool for assembly design and kinematic simulation of mechanisms composed of rigid parts. It is commercially available from http://DrivingDimensions.com/store/Rhino for US$395. Both RhinoDirect and RhinoAssembly belong to the LEDAS Driving Dimensions product line.
About Driving Dimensions
Driving Dimensions are end-user applications developed by LEDAS as plug-ins for popular 2D and 3D modeling systems. They provide advanced parameterization capabilities for programs like SketchUp and Rhinoceros. Driving Dimensions are based on the LEDAS' Variational Direct Modeling technology for history-free editing of model elements that preserve design intent, and are expressed by explicit and implicit driving dimensions (linear, angular, radial) and geometric constraints.
Simultaneous satisfaction of geometric and dimensional constraints is achieved through LEDAS' LGS 3D geometric constraint solver, technology developed by LEDAS since 2001 and available for licensing to all CAD developers. More information about Driving Dimensions portfolio of applications can be found at www.DrivingDimensions.com.
LEDAS Ltd. is an independent software development company founded in 1999. It is based in Novosibirsk Scientific Centre in Akademgorodok, the Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Science. A leader in constraint-based technologies, LEDAS is a well-known provider of computational software components for PLM (Product Lifecycle Management) solutions: geometric constraint solvers for CAD/CAM/CAE, optimization engines for project management, work scheduling and meeting planning as well as interval technologies for knowledge-based engineering and collaborative design. The company also provides services for PLM markets: software development, consulting, reselling as well as education and training.
More information about LEDAS is available at www.ledas.com.
phone: +7 383 3356 504 / fax: +7 383 3356 256
Driving Dimensions, RhinoAssembly, RhinoDirect, and LGS are trademarks of LEDAS Ltd. Any other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
*Limited time offer. RhinoDirect is available at no charge during the beta testing stage.
- LEDAS Reports on Business Through COVID-19
- Digital Medicine Drives LEDAS 2019 Revenues 20% Higher
- LEDAS develops a lightweight Nesting module based on genetic algorithms and optimization methods
- LEDAS Rebrands with New Logo, New Web Site, New Focus
- LEDAS Celebrates 20th Anniversary with New Office
- LEDAS Cloud Platform Licensed to U.S. Dental Company Mechanodontics
- OpenBOM™ and LEDAS Announce Partnership to Help Accelerate Product Development
- LEDAS to Offer a Software Platform for Building Cloud CAD Apps
- LEDAS Contributes to Renga Software
- LEDAS Protects Customers with New Software Insurance
- LEDAS Geometry Comparison Licensed for Inventor Plug-in
- AWV and LEDAS Deliver Powerful GPU-based Tessellation Software
- LEDAS Technology Searches and Compares Big Sets of 3D Models
- Geometry Comparison From LEDAS Now Supports All Major MCAD Formats
- LEDAS Releases 3D Comparison Technology to the B2B Market
- Here's To the Quindecennial of LEDAS!
- LEDAS Labs News: Geometry Comparison Technology, Parallel Computations, Cloud Systems and Much More
- LEDAS Attracts Ever More Software Development from Global CAM Market
- LEDAS Labs Starts with Cloud-Based Geometry Comparator
- Top Systems and LEDAS Present Brand New Geometric Kernel RGK at COFES Russia 2013
- OR Laser and LEDAS Sign Long-term Service and Consulting Agreement
- RGK Russian Geometric Kernel Celebrates First Full-Featured Version
- LEDAS Establishes US Business Entity to Better Serve Clients Worldwide
- Cooperation between ASCON, Bricsys and LEDAS Brings Variational Direct Modeling to KOMPAS-3D
- Software Developer LEDAS Sets Second Consecutive Revenue Record
- LEDAS to Distribute ASCON’s C3D Modeling Kernel Internationally
- LEDAS Experts: How our Company is Involved in Developing Russian Geometric Kernel
- Russian National 3D Kernel
- LEDAS Assists STANKIN to Develop a New 3D Modeling Kernel
- LEDAS Implements Variational Direct Modeling in KOMPAS-3D
- LEDAS Appoints Alexey Ershov as New CEO
- LEDAS Achieves Record Revenues from Its Portfolio of Software Development Services
- From the Prague Spring to a Siberian summer
- New Armor for Rhino
- LEDAS Drastically Improves Performance of its LGS 3D Constraint Solver
- Get back! (Personal Impressions from COFES-2011)
- RhinoWorks from LEDAS Revolutionizes Direct Modeling
- LEDAS Adds Profile Management to LGS 2D Constraint Solver
- LEDAS Changes Leadership to Better Guide Future Development of CAD Technology
- LEDAS Appoints Dmitry Ushakov as New CEO
- Innovations Should be More Practical, Less Political. COFES-Israel Forum Report
- LEDAS Improves Google SketchUp 8 with Driving Dimensions 1.4
- Cimatron to Introduce New Motion Simulator Powered by LEDAS LGS 3D
- LEDAS Releases LGS 3D v4 Constraint Solver for Assembly Design and Direct Modeling
- LEDAS Releases LGS 2D v5 Constraint Solver with Extended Functions
- LEDAS Enhances 3D Geometry Editing for RhinoDirect Beta 0.3
- LEDAS made Constraints Demo Application available for all ODA members
- LEDAS Adds Advanced Parametric Drawing Functions to Version 4.0 of its 2D Constraint Solver
- LEDAS Releases Driving Dimensions v.1.3 for Google SketchUp
- LEDAS Adds Movie Recording and Localization to RhinoAssembly
- How To Make a 3D Cartoon in Rhino: A Practical Guide
- LEDAS Ships LGS 3D v3 for Variational Direct Modeling Developers
- Open Design Alliance and LEDAS Implement Parametric Drawing Tools Compatible with the DWG 2010 file format
- LEDAS Announces RhinoDirect 0.1
- University of Michigan Taubman College Licenses Academic Version of LGD 3D Geometric Constraint Solver by LEDAS
- LEDAS Enhances Parametric Drawings with Updated 2D Geometric Constraint Solver
- LEDAS Improves Parametric Design in SketchUp
- How to Express Design Intent in Rhino 3D
- LEDAS Ships Next Generation of 3D Geometric Constraint Solver
- LEDAS Adds Assemblies and Kinematics to Rhino
- LEDAS Geometric Constraint Solver LGS 3D Is Licensed By Joe Gibbs Racing
- LEDAS Improves Assembly Design and Kinematic Simulation in Rhino 3D and Announces History-Free Geometry Editing
- LEDAS Supports Research on Future CAD at Purdue University
- SketchUcation.com published an interview with Dmitry Ushakov about Driving Dimensions Plugin
- LEDAS Ports its Driving Dimensions plugin for Google SketchUp to Mac and Reports 10,000 Downloads of Windows Version
- ODA and LEDAS to Cooperate in the Development of Geometric and Dimensional Constraints in DWGdirect
- LEDAS Announces Beta Release of Driving Dimensions Plugin for Rhino
- COFES – Wish you were here
- The prodigal son of Autodesk
- LEDAS Announces Availability of its Variational Geometric Solver LGS for the Mac
- CD-adapco licenses LEDAS variational geometric solver LGS 2D
- LEDAS Celebrates its 10th Anniversary While Becoming Closer to CAD Users
- LEDAS Takes 3D History-Free Parametric Design to the Next Level by Releasing Driving Dimensions 1.0 Plugin for Google SketchUp
- LEDAS Opens Driving Dimensions Labs
- LEDAS Improves Variational Sketching Usability with Release 2.2 of its LGS 2D Geometric Solver
- LEDAS Helps CAD/CAM/CAE Developers Efficiently Model Large Assemblies with LGS 3D Geometric Solver Version 1.5
- Driving Dimensions for Google SketchUp Public Beta Downloads Top 3,000 in Three Months
- LEDAS expands capabilities of free parameterization in Google SketchUp
- VirtualCAD and LEDAS provide ROCOM with parametric on-line parts catalog
- LEDAS announced successful completion of the first stage of the project for localizing DELMIA solutions for the Russian market, commissioned by Dassault Systèmes
- LEDAS opens up parametric modeling for Google SketchUp users
- LEDAS is bringing the new technology of variational direct modeling to the market
- Variational Direct Modeling: How to Keep Design Intent in History-Free CAD
- LEDAS increases the productivity of LGS 2D variational geometric solver
- Common Pitfalls in Parametric CAD Systems
- LEDAS releases 64-bit version of its variational geometric solver
- Using LEDAS Computational Software Toolkits to Shorten Development Cycle of Variational CAD Systems
- LEDAS published first ever PLM Encyclopedia
- LEDAS announces successful Third isicad Forum «PLM+ERP: Informational Environment of a Modern Enterprise»
- LEDAS releases new version of its variational geometric solver LGS 3D
- LEDAS license Academic version of geometric solvers LGS 2D/3D to Northwestern Politechnical University, China
- LEDAS delivers ENOVIA SmarTeam in Russian for Dassault Systèmes
- LEDAS to release first ever PLM+ERP Encyclopedia on isicad-2008 conference.
- LEDAS on-line solutions simplify parametric CAD trainings.
- LEDAS extends its business by developing parametric parts libraries
- Swiss AWV Company succeeds with LEDAS geometric solvers
- From LGS to LGS-Toolkits: LEDAS proposes new computational components
- LEDAS to apply its CAD/PLM expertise to bioinformatics in partnership with Laboratory of Theoretical Genetics, Siberian Branch of Russian Academy of Sciences
- LEDAS opens new direction of geometric solvers development with release LGS 2D 2.0
- LEDAS releases the fourth commercial version of its variational geometric solver LGS 3D.
Permanent link :: http://isicad.net/press_releases.php?press_num=14045