14 Dec 2009
LEDAS Enhances Parametric Drawings with Updated 2D Geometric Constraint Solver
Implement powerful parametric CAD/CAM/CAE drawing functions faster and cheaper than ever before with version 3.0 of LGS 2D geometric constraint solver
Novosibirsk, Russia, December 14, 2009 – LEDAS Ltd., an independent provider of variational design tools, component technologies, and software development services for the CAD/CAM/CAE/PLM market, today announced version 3.0 of its LGS 2D geometric constraint solver. As a core component of parametric drawing applications, LGS 2D allows users to express design intent through geometric constraints and driving dimensions applied to 2D points, lines, curves, and other elements of sketches and drawings.
Since its first release in 2004, the LGS 2D software component has been licensed and embedded by several CAD/CAM/CAE vendors into parametric drawing applications. In five years, LEDAS has released eight intermediate versions of LGS 2D.
New Features in LGS 2D 3.0
Version 3.0 of LGS 2D adds support for NURBS curves, equal curvature geometric constraints, memory management, and many additional improvements.
NURBS (non-uniform rational B-spline) curves are commonly used in computer-aided design and computer graphics applications. Previous versions of LGS 2D supported NURBS curves, but required that they be evaluated on the application side. Whereas application developers before had to implement callback functions to regenerate the shapes of curves, they will now find that working with NURBS curves is as easy as working with lines and circles in LGS 2D 3.0. The application simply calls the spline creation function, passing all needed parameters (algebraic degree, control points, knots and weights), and then the solver evaluates the spline. This new feature reduces the software development cycle and shortens the time to market for a new parametric drawing application.
An even greater advantage to using the new NURBS curves support is the significant performance improvement. The derivatives of NURBS evaluation functions needed for numerical methods of constraint solving are now expressed analytically and computed by the solver.
Version 3.0 supports a new form of geometric constraint, equal curvature. It is useful for parametric drawing applications that require smooth (G2) tangencies between curves. In this case, application developers create both tangency and equal curvature constraints between two curves (or between a curve and a circle or a line) and then make the corresponding "help" parameters equal.
Version 3.0 allows application developers to define custom sets of memory management tools for controlling and optimizing memory use. This new feature is critical for applications that deal with large drawings, which are typically composed of thousands of geometric elements.
LGS 2D 3.0 also contains many other improvements, such as alignments for tangency constraints with curves, versioning for binary dump, and journaling enhancements. Several bugs in the autoconstraining function have been fixed, and issues reported by LEDAS customers have been resolved.
"LGS 2D is used by our customers to implement powerful parametric drawing functions, which are compatible with the capabilities of mainstream MCAD systems, but at an affordable price," said Dmitry Ushakov, Director of Product Management, LEDAS Ltd. "Our new version 3.0 is another significant step towards this direction: it introduces new functions aimed at supporting advanced user requirements yet shortening the application development time."
An integration module has also been created, which allows version 3.0 of LGS 2D to be used with applications based on DWGdirect of the Open Design Alliance (ODA). This integration module was developed jointly by LEDAS and the ODA, and it provides DWGdirect-based applications with support for constraints contained in the DWG 2010 file format.
About LGS Software
The LGS 2D and 3D geometric constraint solvers are used as parametric engines for 2D sketching and drawing, history-free 3D modeling, assembly design, motion analysis, and other geometric modeling applications. LGS 2D and 3D are cross-platform software packages running on 32- and 64-bit versions of Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, *BSD, AIX, HP-UX, Sun Solaris, and other OSes. Coded in C++, LGS 2D and 3D have a C-style API for easy integration into a broad range of software applications using a variety of wrappers, such as .NET, Java, and C++.
LGS 2D/3D supports the creation and modification of geometric models by means of explicit or implicit constraints. (Geometric objects include points, lines, circles, planes, cylinders, spheres, parametric curves, surfaces and swept surfaces.) Objects can be fixed in the absolute coordinate system or relative to each other. Supported geometric constraints include logical constraints between geometric entities (coincidence, parallelism, tangency, and so on), and dimensional constraints that specify the required values for distances, angles, or radiuses. LGS 2D/3D moves and rotates objects to positions that satisfy all constraints, yet minimizes transformations from initial configurations. Other LGS functions implement advanced features of CAD/CAM/CAE systems, such as diagnostics of over- and under-defined parts of models, engineering variables and equations, "help" points, and tolerance management.
Sample applications named "Lege’n’d 2D/3D" are available for free download from the LEDAS Web site. These representative examples show the kinds of 2D sketches and 3D assemblies made possible by LGS. The applications can be used by anyone to test the functionality, robustness, and performance of LGS 2D/3D. The sample applications were created with the Open CASCADE open-source application framework, and their source code is available to all licensees.
To learn more about LGS 2D/3D, visit the LEDAS Web site at www.ledas.com/products/lgs2d/.
LEDAS Ltd. is an independent software development company founded in 1999. It is based in the Novosibirsk Scientific Centre at (Akademgorodok), the Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Science. A leader in constraint-based technologies, LEDAS is a well-known provider of computational software components for PLM (Product Lifecycle Management) solutions: geometric constraint solvers for CAD/CAM/CAE, optimization engines for project management, work scheduling and meeting planning as well as interval technologies for knowledge-based engineering and collaborative design.
The company also provides comprehensive services for PLM markets, including software development, consulting, reselling, education, and training.
More information about LEDAS is available at www.ledas.com.
LGS is a trademark of LEDAS Ltd. Any other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
LEDAS Marketing Department
phone: +7 383 3356 504 / fax: +7 383 3356 256
- LEDAS distributes its infrastructure globally
- Deciding Which is Better: Plug-ins or Applications
- 3D Web, Additive Manufacturing, Kernels and Solvers Raised LEDAS Earnings in 2020
- LEDAS Signs Contracts with Billion-Dollar US Firms
- LEDAS Reports on Business Through COVID-19
- Digital Medicine Drives LEDAS 2019 Revenues 20% Higher
- LEDAS develops a lightweight Nesting module based on genetic algorithms and optimization methods
- LEDAS Rebrands with New Logo, New Web Site, New Focus
- LEDAS Celebrates 20th Anniversary with New Office
- LEDAS Cloud Platform Licensed to U.S. Dental Company Mechanodontics
- OpenBOM™ and LEDAS Announce Partnership to Help Accelerate Product Development
- LEDAS to Offer a Software Platform for Building Cloud CAD Apps
- LEDAS Contributes to Renga Software
- LEDAS Protects Customers with New Software Insurance
- LEDAS Geometry Comparison Licensed for Inventor Plug-in
- AWV and LEDAS Deliver Powerful GPU-based Tessellation Software
- LEDAS Technology Searches and Compares Big Sets of 3D Models
- Geometry Comparison From LEDAS Now Supports All Major MCAD Formats
- LEDAS Releases 3D Comparison Technology to the B2B Market
- Here's To the Quindecennial of LEDAS!
- LEDAS Labs News: Geometry Comparison Technology, Parallel Computations, Cloud Systems and Much More
- LEDAS Attracts Ever More Software Development from Global CAM Market
- LEDAS Labs Starts with Cloud-Based Geometry Comparator
- Top Systems and LEDAS Present Brand New Geometric Kernel RGK at COFES Russia 2013
- OR Laser and LEDAS Sign Long-term Service and Consulting Agreement
- RGK Russian Geometric Kernel Celebrates First Full-Featured Version
- LEDAS Establishes US Business Entity to Better Serve Clients Worldwide
- Cooperation between ASCON, Bricsys and LEDAS Brings Variational Direct Modeling to KOMPAS-3D
- Software Developer LEDAS Sets Second Consecutive Revenue Record
- LEDAS to Distribute ASCON’s C3D Modeling Kernel Internationally
- LEDAS Experts: How our Company is Involved in Developing Russian Geometric Kernel
- Russian National 3D Kernel
- LEDAS Assists STANKIN to Develop a New 3D Modeling Kernel
- LEDAS Implements Variational Direct Modeling in KOMPAS-3D
- LEDAS Appoints Alexey Ershov as New CEO
- LEDAS Achieves Record Revenues from Its Portfolio of Software Development Services
- From the Prague Spring to a Siberian summer
- New Armor for Rhino
- LEDAS Drastically Improves Performance of its LGS 3D Constraint Solver
- Get back! (Personal Impressions from COFES-2011)
- RhinoWorks from LEDAS Revolutionizes Direct Modeling
- LEDAS Adds Profile Management to LGS 2D Constraint Solver
- LEDAS Changes Leadership to Better Guide Future Development of CAD Technology
- LEDAS Appoints Dmitry Ushakov as New CEO
- Innovations Should be More Practical, Less Political. COFES-Israel Forum Report
- LEDAS Improves Google SketchUp 8 with Driving Dimensions 1.4
- Cimatron to Introduce New Motion Simulator Powered by LEDAS LGS 3D
- LEDAS Releases LGS 3D v4 Constraint Solver for Assembly Design and Direct Modeling
- LEDAS Improves Variational Direct Modeling with RhinoDirect 0.4
- LEDAS Releases LGS 2D v5 Constraint Solver with Extended Functions
- LEDAS IFC Software Development experience: Architecture, Engineering, and Construction Projects
- LEDAS Enhances 3D Geometry Editing for RhinoDirect Beta 0.3
- LEDAS made Constraints Demo Application available for all ODA members
- LEDAS Adds Advanced Parametric Drawing Functions to Version 4.0 of its 2D Constraint Solver
- LEDAS Releases Driving Dimensions v.1.3 for Google SketchUp
- LEDAS Adds Movie Recording and Localization to RhinoAssembly
- How To Make a 3D Cartoon in Rhino: A Practical Guide
- LEDAS Ships LGS 3D v3 for Variational Direct Modeling Developers
- Open Design Alliance and LEDAS Implement Parametric Drawing Tools Compatible with the DWG 2010 file format
- LEDAS Announces RhinoDirect 0.1
- University of Michigan Taubman College Licenses Academic Version of LGD 3D Geometric Constraint Solver by LEDAS
- LEDAS Improves Parametric Design in SketchUp
- How to Express Design Intent in Rhino 3D
- LEDAS Ships Next Generation of 3D Geometric Constraint Solver
- LEDAS Adds Assemblies and Kinematics to Rhino
- LEDAS Geometric Constraint Solver LGS 3D Is Licensed By Joe Gibbs Racing
- LEDAS Improves Assembly Design and Kinematic Simulation in Rhino 3D and Announces History-Free Geometry Editing
- LEDAS Supports Research on Future CAD at Purdue University
- SketchUcation.com published an interview with Dmitry Ushakov about Driving Dimensions Plugin
- LEDAS Ports its Driving Dimensions plugin for Google SketchUp to Mac and Reports 10,000 Downloads of Windows Version
- ODA and LEDAS to Cooperate in the Development of Geometric and Dimensional Constraints in DWGdirect
- LEDAS Announces Beta Release of Driving Dimensions Plugin for Rhino
- COFES – Wish you were here
- The prodigal son of Autodesk
- LEDAS Announces Availability of its Variational Geometric Solver LGS for the Mac
- CD-adapco licenses LEDAS variational geometric solver LGS 2D
- LEDAS Celebrates its 10th Anniversary While Becoming Closer to CAD Users
- LEDAS Takes 3D History-Free Parametric Design to the Next Level by Releasing Driving Dimensions 1.0 Plugin for Google SketchUp
- LEDAS Opens Driving Dimensions Labs
- LEDAS Improves Variational Sketching Usability with Release 2.2 of its LGS 2D Geometric Solver
- LEDAS Helps CAD/CAM/CAE Developers Efficiently Model Large Assemblies with LGS 3D Geometric Solver Version 1.5
- Driving Dimensions for Google SketchUp Public Beta Downloads Top 3,000 in Three Months
- LEDAS expands capabilities of free parameterization in Google SketchUp
- VirtualCAD and LEDAS provide ROCOM with parametric on-line parts catalog
- LEDAS announced successful completion of the first stage of the project for localizing DELMIA solutions for the Russian market, commissioned by Dassault Systèmes
- LEDAS opens up parametric modeling for Google SketchUp users
- LEDAS is bringing the new technology of variational direct modeling to the market
- Variational Direct Modeling: How to Keep Design Intent in History-Free CAD
- LEDAS increases the productivity of LGS 2D variational geometric solver
- Common Pitfalls in Parametric CAD Systems
- LEDAS releases 64-bit version of its variational geometric solver
- Using LEDAS Computational Software Toolkits to Shorten Development Cycle of Variational CAD Systems
- LEDAS published first ever PLM Encyclopedia
- LEDAS announces successful Third isicad Forum «PLM+ERP: Informational Environment of a Modern Enterprise»
- LEDAS releases new version of its variational geometric solver LGS 3D
- LEDAS license Academic version of geometric solvers LGS 2D/3D to Northwestern Politechnical University, China
- LEDAS delivers ENOVIA SmarTeam in Russian for Dassault Systèmes
- LEDAS to release first ever PLM+ERP Encyclopedia on isicad-2008 conference.
- LEDAS on-line solutions simplify parametric CAD trainings.
- LEDAS extends its business by developing parametric parts libraries
- Swiss AWV Company succeeds with LEDAS geometric solvers
Permanent link :: http://isicad.net/press_releases.php?press_num=13492